The 3-part Shedding Light on Energy series allows teachers to teach the topic of Energy really easily without actually using much energy! With a perfect mix of biology, chemistry, and physics, we explore every aspect of energy including what it is and how we measure it.
Shedding Light on Energy Episode 2: Measuring Energy
Shedding Light on Energy Episode 3: Energy Efficiency
In Episode 1, Forms of Energy, we introduce students to the different forms of energy that affect their lives daily and describe how energy can change from one form to another. We also explore one of the most important discoveries ever made.
In Episode 2, Measuring Energy, we look at the “joule”, the unit for energy. We look at how much energy is stored in different foods by comparing apples and oranges (normally a no-no) and we discuss how much energy we need to do certain things, including nothing much at all. We then explore the concept of energy balance and reveal the two simple rules for weight loss. That’s right, there are only two!
In Episode 3, Energy Efficiency, we explore the concept of efficiency. To shed light on the topic, we use different types of light globes, some bouncing balls, and a bouncing human who bounces on his own two energy-efficient feet. Mind the kangaroos!
The three programs in the series brilliantly cover:
- the many different forms of energy;
- energy transformations (it’s like magic, but better);
- where the energy in our food comes from;
- the amount of time a single kilogram of fat can fuel us for (we’re talking days!);
- the unit for energy, the joule;
- power and the watt (the what? Yes, the watt);
- the energy content of different foods (and how it’s measured);
- the energy expenditure of the human body (and how it’s measured);
- energy balance (and how it can go wrong);
- the two simple rules for weight loss (that’s right, there are only two!);
- where the fat actually goes when people lose weight;
- efficiency (there’s never been a more efficient way of learning about it);
- why LED globes have taken over from incandescents (and why it took so long even though LEDs have been around since the 1960s);
- how the arches of our feet help us to chase down horses (yes, you read that correctly!)
- and much more!
If you have ClickView, watch the series here.
If you have Learn360, watch the series here.
If you have Films on Demand, watch the series here.
If you have Classroom Video, watch the series here.
Most of our videos are also available on SAFARI Montage. Just log in and do a quick search.
Don’t have these services? Rent or buy digital copies via Vimeo on Demand.
Simply join Vimeo and you’ll be watching in no time!!
Stream anywhere, stream anytime, stream on any device…
(Prices in Australian dollars. For non-Australians, prices will depend on exchange rates.)
You can order DVD copies directly from us with a credit card or a purchase order! Individual programs are only $49.99 AUD each. However…
HUGE SAVINGS are available if you buy multiple programs.
Only $74.99 if you order two or more series!!
Go to the Orders page for all the details.
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By Phone: +61 (0)3 9543 5446; +61 (0)433 061 117
Via our Contact Form below: